You hear it everyday. I’m too busy to workout. I just don’t have the time. Maybe after the kids go back to school, I’ll start. You know what, after the holidays sounds better. I’m just too damn busy to workout. I have too many other responsibilities.
First, don’t say you are too busy or don’t have time. The truth is that fitness is not one of your top priorities. If it was, you would make time. But, I get it. Not everyone prioritizes the same. To be honest, not everyone should. We are all different. However, if you are looking to get fit with shorter workouts that can be done anywhere, then you’re going to want to read further.
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the magic weight loss pill. It will help you burn fat and retain muscle and it can be done in a short amount of time. So, what is HIIT? HIIT is a very effective cardiovascular workout that alternates intervals of high intensity anaerobic training with low intensity recovery periods. You can perform any workout you want so long as you follow the alternation of intervals. There are various explanations of workouts for beginners online. You can find a few by clicking here.
Here’s an example of how to do a HIIT. For running, you would sprint (or run/jog as fast as you can) for 30 seconds or more, then immediately slow down to a walk (or jog) for a recovery period of 30 seconds to a minute or whatever works for you. You can continue this pattern for 10 to 30 minutes or as long as it takes to feel as though you’ve endured a strenuous workout. Remember, this is just a model. Do whatever works for you with this theory in mind. It will be effective. I promise.
Now that you know how to do HIIT, it is important to understand the various benefits. There are a multitude of benefits, but these are the 5 most important in my opinion:
- Less Time: HIIT is the perfect type of training for the busy parent as it takes less time to be extremely effective.
- Targets Fat: HIIT has been proven to target and burn fat while retaining muscle. This is due to the metabolic state that it creates.
- Awesome Cardio: HIIT is great for your heart. The high intensity intervals create an anaerobic environment that is heart healthy. It tricks your body into believing it has been training at an intense level through the entire workout.
- Flexibility: HIIT can be done anywhere! You don’t need a gym or equipment to perform an effective session.
- Builds Endurance: HIIT builds endurance and rapidly improves your overall health. It improves blood pressure, and the benefits will carry over into your longer moderate workouts.
So there you have it. The benefits and flexibility of HIIT are unmatched in the fitness world. Plus,you’ll find that it is actually a lot of fun and very challenging! If you get a moment, I have included a video from Fitness Blender below that is very detailed about the many benefits of HIIT and reasons why you should start now. So get up, get going, and train like a champion!!